The Murtfeldt principle: Live in the present, use the experiences of the past, and look to the future.
Murtfeldt has always been characterized by growth and change. In 1954, Fritz Murtfeldt and four employees started work - today, our production plant covers just under 17,000m2 and has almost 300 employees. Today's workers are as qualified as their predecessors: Each is an expert in his or her area and contributes to the excellent reputation enjoyed by Murtfeldt around the world.
- 1954: Formation of company
- 1958: Introduction of Original Material "S"® Green
- 1963: Start of in-house production
- 1967 Einführung der Kettengleitschienen
- 1969: Relocation to Dortmund-Barop
- 1970: Launch of fully-automatic chain and belt tensioners
- 1973: Construction of operational headquarters at their current location
- 1989: Opening of Mata subsidiary in Holland
- 1992: Opening of Murtfeldt Plasty, Czech Republic
- 1993: Founding of Murtfeldt Italia, Italy
- 1994: DIN EN ISO 9001 certification
- 1999: Construction of new premises for Mata, Holland
- 2004: Murtfeldt's 50th birthday
- 2008: Construction of new premises for Murtfeldt Plasty, Czech Republic
- Present day: The Dortmund location continues to grow.
1954: Formation of company
In 1954, Germany won the World Cup for the first time. The same year, Fritz Murtfeldt founded a commercial enterprise with the aim of marketing industrial items of all types for mining and heavy industry. At this time, the use of plastics in machine construction was still unheard of. In special cases, laminated densified wood was used for machine construction applications where plastic would come to be used later on. In comparison with the present situation, the company was built up in extremely primitive conditions but with a full complement of enthusiasm and entrepreneurship. In the early days, products were delivered to locations in Dortmund by bicycle.
1958: Introduction of Original Material "S"® Green
In 1958, the triumphal procession of a unique, ultra-high molecular polyethylene began: Original Material "S"® Green. This green plastic is characterized by extremely good wear resistance properties and excellent acid resistance. The material takes its name from its colour. Because of this material's high resistance to chemicals, its first applications were primarily developed in the steel industry. However, since the material is highly abrasion resistant and has extremely good slide properties, Murtfeldt Original Material "S"® Green was soon implemented for machine construction.
1963: Start of in-house production
In-house production was kicked off in 1963 with the acquisition of a circular saw. Initially, Murtfeldt's production plant was housed in a converted bakery in Moltkestraße in the eastern sector of Dortmund city centre. Murtfeldt soon developed from a purely commercial enterprise to a fabricator. In the 1960s, Murtfeldt completely discontinued its trade in other industrial products.
1967 Einführung der Kettengleitschienen
Murtfeldt startet mit der Entwicklung der heute weltweit bekannten Kettengleitschienen. Wurden Rollenketten bis dato geräuschvoll und verschleißanfällig über ölverschmierte Stahlschienen geführt, bietet sich seit der Einführung der Kunststoffgleitschienen mit dem hierfür bestens geeigneten Werkstoff “S“® ein völlig anderes (Geräusch-) Bild. Leise, sauber und verschleißarm gleiten seitdem die Ketten dahin. Für den Maschinen-Konstrukteur ergeben sich ständig neue Anwendungsfälle für Rollenketten, die sich sinnvoll durch die Verwendung dieser Gleitschienen realisieren lassen.
1969: Relocation to Dortmund-Barop
In 1969, Murtfeldt purchased premises in Dortmund-Barop, to be used from then on for the Production and Sales departments and to accommodate the management. The relocation was intended to provide sufficient capacity for many years to come; however, thanks to successful growth, the company outgrew the new buildings in three years.
1970: Launch of fully-automatic chain and belt tensioners
In the early 1970s, Murtfeldt developed Spann-Box®, its own tensioning system for chains and belts. This system was based on the following aim: To increase the lifetime of chains and belts and to enable a smooth production process. The result: Countless chains have significantly longer lifetimes thanks to fully-automatic tensioners.
1973: Construction of operational headquarters at their current location
Murtfeldt purchased a new plot of land in Dortmund-Brackel. In 1973, the first phase of construction was built on this plot. This relocation constituted a further upswing in the company's fortunes: Finally, Murtfeldt had all the prerequisites in place in order to be able to attune its production and warehousing facilities to enable the continual development of the company. Further construction phases were added step by step. They served as the basis for further growth and the creation of secure jobs. In the meantime, Murtfeldt had become a specialist in plastics with excellent glide properties and high abrasion resistance.
1989: Opening of Mata subsidiary in Holland
In 1989, Murtfeldt acquired its Dutch subsidiary Mata, with whom the company had already been working since the late 1960s. Under the management of Jan Paulides, the company quickly developed into an important supplier of technical construction plastics and custom machine parts made from plastic for the Dutch machine construction industry.
1992: Opening of Murtfeldt Plasty, Czech Republic
The subsidiary Murtfeldt Plasty was founded in 1991 and was intended to act as a trading and contact partner for the Eastern European market. The Czech and Slovakian market enjoyed continual development and demand grew. Soon, Murtfeldt Plasty rose to the challenge of establishing its own production plant.
1993: Founding of Murtfeldt Italia, Italy
In 1993, Murtfeldt Italia was founded in Varese, to the north of Milan. The Italian machine construction industry was already among the global leaders, and Murtfeldt products were therefore urgently needed in situ. To stimulate competitiveness and enable quick reaction times, an extensive warehouse was needed as well as a plastics processing plant in Varese. Murtfeldt Italia quickly acquired a significant market share.
1994: DIN EN ISO 9001 certification
As early as 1994, Murtfeldt gained DIN EN ISO 9001 certification, thus consolidating its high quality standards. The Dortmund-based plastics expert was also one of the first companies to pass an environmental certification audit in accordance with DIN EN ISO 14001.
1999: Construction of new premises for Mata, Holland
Murtfeldt reacted to the positive business performance of Mata by providing new premises to accommodate the subsidiary. 2,400m2 of production and warehouse space and 400m2 of office space, an extensive warehouse, and an equally generous machine pool enabled quick delivery times. These facilities also helped Mata to provide its primary service feature - individual consultancy for customers.
2004: Murtfeldt's 50th birthday
50 years of Murtfeldt: A real reason to celebrate! The company organized parties for employees and all-year-round competitions as well as publishing a 32-page anniversary brochure that documented Murtfeldt's success story during its first 50 years of business.
2008: Construction of new premises for Murtfeldt Plasty, Czech Republic
On September 5th 2008, Murtfeldt Plasty inaugurated its new premises on the northern outskirts of Prague. The generously-sized new construction provided space for 1,800m2 of production room plus 700m2 of management accommodation. Under the management of Libor Galatik, custom finished parts are milled, cut, planed, drilled, and turned here in accordance with customer drawings; in addition, parts are machined on CNC machines. Murtfeldt Plasty procures standard products and semi-finished products for further processing from the parent company in Dortmund.
Present day: The Dortmund location continues to grow.
The expansion of the Dortmund-based parent company has been consistently promoted over the course of decades. From a single production hall in 1973, Murtfeldt has grown to encompass nine halls that cover a total of 17,000m2. The office accommodation has also been continuously modified to meet demands.
Thanks to plenty of elbow-room and short routes, we are able to work in a profitable manner; our optimized production flow allows us to produce even extremely small batches. This enables us to provide even more support to our customers and to meet the requirements of increasingly specialized applications.
Murtfeldt products have been tried and tested over many years and form the basis for new and further developments with a potential that reaches far into the future.